Introducing Maritime Spatial Planning in the Baltic Sea – BaltSeaPlan
BEF-Estonia is participating in an international project BaltSeaPlan, which is financially supported by the Baltic Sea Region Programme of the European Regional Development Fund.
The 3.7 m EUR project BaltSeaPlan (2009-2012) is one the major EU initiatives in the field of maritime spatial planning in the coming years. With 14 partners from seven Baltic countries, the project will provide key input into the realization of the EU Maritime Policy, HELCOM Baltic Sea Action Plan and the VASAB Gdańsk Declaration.
With a learning-by-doing approach BaltSeaPlan will overcome the lack of relevant legislation in most Baltic SeaRegion countries. Seven important Baltic areas were chosen for pilot maritime spatial plans, including the Pomeranian Bight (DE/PL/SE), Gulf of Gdańsk (PL), Middle Bank (PL/SE), T-Route in Danish Straits (DK), Pärnu Bay and Western Coast of Hiiumaa and Saaremaa islands (EE), and Western Coast of Latvia (LV).
A broad scale stocktake of maritime uses will be carried out in each pilot area. Additional information will be collected with application of newest tools and methods, such as sea-bed modelling and climate change scenarios. All data will be harmonised according to requirements of the EC INSPIRE directive and compiled in a joint data base.
Additionally, BaltSeaPlan will provide key input into National Maritime Strategies as required by the EU Blue Book on Future Maritime Policy. In 2011 a common spatial development vision for the Baltic Sea will be produced as a synergy of the national visions and plans of all Baltic Sea Region countries.
• Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH) - Lead Partner
• Ministry of Transport, Building and Regional Development Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
• WWF Germany Baltic Sea Unit
• Maritime Office in Sczecin
• Maritime Office in Gdynia
• Maritime Institute in Gdańsk
• National Environmental Research Institute (NERI) of Aarhus University
• Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
• Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
• Estonian Marine Institute of University of Tartu
• Baltic Environmental Forum Estonia
• Klaipeda University Coastal Research and Planning Institute (CORPI)
• Baltic Environmental Forum Lithuania
• Baltic Environmental Forum Latvia
For more information see project home page: www.baltseaplan.eu
Ms. Kai Klein
Project manager in BEF-Estonia
Tel. +372 6597 027