Developing competency of NGOs in chemical policies: potentials for public awareness raising in Belarus and Russia
Project duration: January - December, 2009
The main objective: To support capacity building to develop the role of Belarusian and Northwest Russian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in policy development and public awareness raising in the field of chemicals management.
Target groups in Russia and Belorus:
- Environmental NGOs
- Educational NGOs (e.g. teachers/youth organisations)
- Health and Consumer Protection NGOs
- to assess training needs among the NGOs regarding their existing knowledge regarding chemicals;
- to arrange 3 training seminars on international hazard concepts, chemicals policy and tools for safe chemicals management will be conducted for NGOs in Belarus and Russia;
- to organize national Russian and Belarusian NGO meetings with competent authorities in chemicals management and industries;
- to generate 15 brochures about all kinds of chemical products, which we face in daily life, their posed risks, potential alternatives to less harm the human health and the environment.
- increased Russian and Belarusian NGO competency in chemical field and public awareness raising;
- 3 training seminars for Russian and Belarusian NGO arranged;
- national Russian and Belarusian NGO meetings with competent authorities in chemicals management and industries organized;
- Russian and Belarussian societies informed on project activities and chemical substances in daily goods;
- 2 project applications elaborated to pave the way for further NGO activities in chemical field.
Partners: Public Association “Ecoproject” (Belarus), BEF-Russia, Danish Ecological Council (Denmark), BEF-Estonia (BEF - Estonia).
The project is partly supported by the Nordic Council of Ministers